Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Compost Garden

It's always fun when you compost haphazardly as I do and when you mix that innocent-looking black richness into your garden soil and - Vavoom!  You find yourself growing more than what you planted.  It's kind of like a trip down memory lane of last year's farmers' market purchases.  It's kind of fun wondering what those sprouts may be - were they heirloom plants that will grow true to their variety and bring you a reliably-yummy garden vegetable?  Or are these seeds from a hybrid variety meaning there's no telling what strangeness may occur from here on out?  Normally I'm cautious about such a garden, as most frequently the latter has occurred, and oh - the strangeness!  But having purchased consistently from the AFM last season, I decided to give it a grow. 

There were a few tomatoes popping up, and my mind ran wild - could they be those Russian Purple variety, or that green-striped variety, or grape or cherry or plum tomatoes?  And the squash/melon/pumpkin vines which seemed to be doing very well - it was quite hard to maintain patience in wondering WHAT were they gong to BE?!  And then there was this lone determined sunflower. 

The tomatoes turned out to produce one normal-looking modest-sized tomato.  Which the birds pecked profusely.  Ah well.

The vines turned out to be a variety of pattypan, butternut, and acorn - what luck!  At first I was stir-frying the young butternut as I'd never seen a young butternut before - and let me tell you, they are quite yummy that way.  Then upon visiting my grandmother and seeing her intentionally-planted butternuts, I realized my error and was sad that I'd sacrificed those tender little ones instead of allowing them to mature to their wonderful ripe sweetness.  The acorn squash I recognized right away and since they matured much faster than the butternut, we had a satisfying harvest. 

The sunflower?  It is towering over our roof.  Just when we thought it couldn't get any taller, it would shoot up another 2 feet.  It appears, however, to be sympathizing with my crookneck squash and zucchini - no flowers.  Who knows. 

It was fun to learn that I could grow acorn and butternut squash without trying, and it became obvious to me that tomatoes do need attention if they are going to produce adequately, or at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment